Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Like everyone, I have a certain way I like to do things, like a formula for how I like to approach life. It's a headlong, sometimes heedless, in-with-both-feet, all-out, willful, impatient kind of approach. Sometimes this approach really serves me, because when I decide I'm going to do something and I start putting my energy to it, you better believe it's gonna get done. Sometimes this approach bites me in the ass, because I can make rash mistakes. As I grow older and try to refine my approach to life, I like to think of this phrase, "start where you are."  I picked it up from Pema Chodron's book of the same name, and its subtitle is, "A guide to compassionate living."  I like this phrase because it means that no matter where we are, how enlightened, or messed up, or confused, we can just  take a breath, and start from exactly where we are. We can't start from anywhere else!

I also like to think of this phrase when I'm trying to help others. For example, marketing. I know from teaching marketing and social media workshops that people feel very overwhelmed by the internet marketing landscape.  If one does not feel "tech-savvy" there is a fear you will never be able to keep up with facebook, google+, posting work on Etsy, figure out twitter, interact on Tumbr, create or update your website, have time to write a blog post about your work, or send an e-newsletter to all of your clients.  If you feel overwhelmed just reading that list, then you are someone who needs this message of "start where you are." Take a breath, and think about which one of those things you think you can manage. Do you like to write? Take pictures? Jot down pithy observations? Interact with communities of people? Whatever lights you up, there is a social media platform that you can plug into. You don't need to do them all, you can just start where you are, and pick one.

If you are not sure which one is right for you, be sure to sign up for the social media marketing salons that we are having throughout 2013. We will covering a wide array of topics and platforms in a low-key, supportive environment. I hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment